Thursday, November 24, 2022

London Catch-up: Featuring Long Lost Cousins, Magic, Cake, Canals, Markets, and Much More!

 







The last few days have been a wild ride all over London on the tube, and then back, and then off again in a different direction, then a quick sit down for tea or cake or beer, and then back off again across town in a another direction. It's been fantastic, and as Samuel Johnson said: "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." 

I'm not even close to being tired of this place!

In between bouts of sprinting across the city, my cousin Mel and I finally managed to be here at the same time (without planning it that way at all), and had a fantastic dinner in Soho with all of us. The highlight of the night, however was finally getting to meet my two cousins Katie and Kerry who live here in the UK and whom I have somehow never met. They joined us for dinner, with all of our group including Kent, Zoe and Dryden, Jacob and Jenna, Mel's husband Stuart, and Stuart's Scottish cousin Robert, 

So lovely to finally meet up:

That's Kerry on the left, then me, then Katie, and Mel. 




 












Hopefully it won't be another 50 years before we all meet again.

London takes up a lot of space physically and mentally and I don't think any of us have the time for a complete recap of our time here so far, so here are the best bits:




I will admit I had expected London to be quieter in November, but that hasn't necessarily been the case. Westminster Abbey was quite busy with thongs of tourists all gaping outside at the incredible cityscapes, me included. I was happy to brave the crowds, though, and see the tombs of so many historical figures, like Elizabeth 1st and her half sister Queen Mary 1, and some other characters from history such as several of the King Henrys, Edward the Confessor etc. I was there, however, to see the addition of the stone for Stephen Hawkings who died in 2018. I was trying not to step on Darwin's stone (he's sure not to mind) when I spotted Hawking's, so there was some nice synchronicity there.

After marvelling at the thousand-year old architecture, we moved on across the street to the Palace of Westminster, otherwise known a Parliament, and watched a very boring reading of a Bill, the details of which I have forgotten - it was probably something about how every form of public transport in the country MUST go on strike or somehow disrupt their services for a minimum of 17 days each year, preferably over buys holidays and weekends. It's sure to pass. We also popped into the House of Lords, where several Lords appeared to be napping, except for one, who was enthusiastically supporting a Bill to protect the habitat of squirrels. You really can't make this stuff up. 


Big Ben, at the Houses of Parliament, has been fully restored - this is the first time I've seen him without his scaffolding in several years - very shiny and lovely against the bright blue sky. 

Next was a walk along the Thames Southbank, which I always love - so much to see and take in - with the goal of getting to St Paul's Cathedral before it closed. Instead, we diverted into the Tate Modern, for which, I'm sorry to say, my level of appreciation has not improved over the years.
For example, the 'white paintings' exhibit:




It's my opinion that this sort of thing does nothing to advance the lot of modern art as sophisticated. It is good for a bit of a laugh, however, and some entertainment.
I will also note that the Elephant Droppings piece, which I highlighted some years ago on a previous visit, is still there. Why, I don't know.


Anyway.  Of perhaps greater interest was our attendance at a fantastic magic show, known as the Magic Hour, held in a small panelled room at the Sheraton Grand on Park Lane. It was lots of really good mind-blowing fun, made even better by Kent being selected to participate on stage. 




I have no idea how this guy pulled off the stunts he did, but it was very entertaining, and a nice alternative to the usual giant West End productions.

Another highlight (for me, at any rate) was an exhibit on the role of science fiction in advancing science held, appropriately, at the Science Museum, and featuring among other things, a Dalek, a Darth Vader Helmet, and an original tricorder from Start Trek: The Original Series. 




Sorry, not sorry, about ignoring the 'no photography' notice.

Other  notable moments include a waterbus ride on the Regent's Canal from Little Venice, through Maida Vale and ending at Camden,



a fantastic local market here in Queen's Park,






















and a very fun couple of days here where we had the whole gang in town and I was able to recreate a photo in Trafalgar Square that I have taken a couple of times over the years since Zoe and Jacob were little:










How lucky am I to have this great time with my family:)




















So much cake...
































It's just one amazing thing after another around here...

Only a couple of days left on the trip, including a short jaunt up to Cheltenham in Gloucestershire and then back to London before flying home. Should be able to fit in one more blog...



No comments:

Post a Comment