Sunday, July 2, 2017

UK Day 10 (?)- In Which There are Bollocks, Bankside is The Best, and Badger is Alive

P1010583

Sometimes the best laid plans go astray and that is what happened to us today.

I see I’m a poet and I don’t even know it
If I had the time, I’d do this all in rhyme

Maybe I’ll try but please give me some slack
Over each line I promise my brain I will rack

For the best way to show you what happened today
The may be more pictures, it will be easier that way.

We started the morning heading east on the train
Happy that for once, there wasn’t any rain.

Our destination, Canary Wharf, is a financial centre
With giant skyscrapers and not much room for a tenter.

P1010537

The Tesla dealership was right in our path
I wanted this car until I did the math

P1010533

At 85K sterling for a self-driving car
The 300 mile range would only take me so far.

On the agenda was also a visit to The Space
But long story short, we didn’t get to that place.

If you’ve watched Call the Midwife you will also know
About Poplar, where we had planned to go.

We wandered the off-ramps to Poplar High Street
But to put it quite bluntly, it wasn’t that neat

P1010542

There were no midwives on bikes their capes billowing behind
We searched for Chummy and Nurse Crane but no evidence could we find.

So we buggered off back to the financial hub
While Travis went off about capitalist thugs.

We walked the rich streets searching for our way
But a snit overcame us and threatened the day.

I’m not quite certain but I think all the folk
on the bus may heard Travis say ‘What a F%^&ing joke!”

So we aborted our missions and made different plans
This one involved an overheard tram.

I feel certain this will be the one and only time
That I fly Emirates Air, I said with a whine.

But the view of London and over the river
Made up for the snit and we fell out of our dither

P1010559

20170630_134559

20170630_134728

Upon landing we walked to the river bank
and waited for our boat, hoping it hadn’t sank. (sorry)

Our skiff took us quickly to the town of Greenwich
Where we saw the Prime Meridian without a hitch.

P1010577

The Cutty Sark is also there at the end of the road
She was the fastest ship and carried tea as her load.

Travis also found a stall selling vinyl
Sex pistols? I said but on Simple Minds he was final.

There was also a stall selling mugs of the Royal Family
Zoe and I tried in vain to find one of Prince Harry

P1010580

He’s everyone’s favourite over here, especially Travis
Who hopes for, one day, a wedding most lavish.

P1010594

Our next stop was Bankside, one of my favourite London places
Full of theatres and cafes and happy smiling faces.

P1010588

P1010593

This fellow photo-bombed my picture and then offered me his beer
I politely declined but appreciated his cheer.

That night we had tickets for The Wind in the Willows
A musical written by Downton Abbey’s Julian Fellows.

There was Ratty and Toad and Mole and Mrs. Otter
And even the character of Mrs. Otter’s daughter

There were weasels and stoats and hedgehogs and mice
And Badger was not dead on the road, which was nice.

P1010601

P1010603

We ended the evening with a late dinner of noodles
With Travis’ cousin Naomi who trains poodles

Just kidding she’s actually a flight attendant for British Airways
Who was heading to Johannesburg for the next four days

We then walked home and Terra checked her pedometer
We had all walked a whopping 19 kilometres!

It was bedtime for us and we we had a busy next day
And that, my friends, is all I have to say.

More tomorrow!

Cranks for gleaming,

Cheers,

Jane



No comments:

Post a Comment